Application Process

Whether you are coming to the U.S. for the first time, or returning after travel overseas, you will need a valid passport, valid visa stamp (unless Canadian and visa exempt), and documentation specific to your immigration status.

Required Documentation for Visas

Applicants for a U.S. visa stamp must apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad, preferably in the home country. The U.S. State Department has more information on the application process, including the completion and submission of the Form DS-160 visa application and a set of FAQs for completing the DS-160.

You can check the wait times for visa appointments at U.S. Embassies and Consular posts abroad on the Department of State website

Passport Renewal

You must always maintain a valid passport while you are in the United States. If your passport is going to expire, you should contact the embassy of your home country in the U.S. to determine the process for renewing your passport.

If you need assistance with this process, you can contact Dartmouth's outbound visa and passport services provider, Travisa. Travisa does charge fees for its services.

Please provide OVIS with your passport information so that we can update your file.  You can submit your new passport information to OVIS using iDartmouth.