E-3 Australian Citizens


The E-3 classification applies only to nationals of Australia. You must be coming to the U.S. solely to perform services in a specialty occupation requiring theoretical and practical application or a body of knowledge in professional fields, and at least the attainment of a bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

There is a nationwide annual cap of 10,500 initial E-3 applications.

Dartmouth will sponsor senior researchers and professional staff for E-3 status if the offered position meets the regulatory criteria for a specialty occupation. The position must require a degree in a specialized field of study to successfully perform the job duties. The offered position must be full-time and benefits eligible.

E-3 status is granted in two-year increments and can be extended through the filing of a petition with USCIS in two-year increments.

Dependent spouses and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for dependent E-3 status regardless of nationality. Spouses may apply for work authorization to USCIS after arrival in the United States.


To qualify for an E-3 visa, you must demonstrate that you:

  • Are a national of Australia
  • Have a legitimate offer of employment in the United States
  • Possess the necessary academic or other qualifying credentials
  • Will fill a position that qualifies as a specialty occupation
  • Will be paid at least the prevailing wage for the offered position, as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor
  • Have nonimmigrant intent (you intend to leave the U.S. at the end of your temporary stay)

Learn more about Visas.

Application Process: Australian Citizens

To apply for E-3 status, citizens of Australia go directly to the U.S. Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of residence and present:

  • Certified Labor Condition Application, filed with Dept. of Labor (OVIS will provide this document)
  • Employment support letter (OVIS will work with the host department to prepare this letter)
  • Evidence of qualifying educational credentials (degree, transcripts)

Departments can request E-3 sponsorship by logging into iDartmouth and initiating the request for a new E-3 application.