Driver’s Licenses

New Hampshire Driver's Licenses

If you are a nonimmigrant (F, J, H-1B, etc.) living in New Hampshire and you plan to drive a car, you will need to apply for a New Hampshire driver's license within 60 days of establishing residency in the state. An international driver's license will be valid for up to 60 days, as will certain foreign or out-of-state licenses recognized by the state of New Hampshire. After 60 days, you need to apply for a state license.

For most non-U.S. citizens, the state of New Hampshire requires vision, written, and driving tests. Citizens of Canada holding a valid license from their home country may be exempt from the road test requirement. The driver's test manual can help you study for the exams.

All driver's license applications for non-U.S. citizens, non-U.S. permanent-residents or asylees must be made at the Concord, NH office.

If you are required to take the driving test, you must be accompanied by a New Hampshire-licensed driver. The car you use for the driving test must be fully registered and in safe operating condition. If English is not your first language, you may bring someone with you to translate the written test. Please review the NH Driver Licensing Testing Requirements

Any non-U.S. citizens who have never held a driver's license in their home country or in the U.S. are required to complete an approved driver education course.

Social Security Number Requirement and OVIS DMV Letters

All applicants must show either proof of having a U.S. Social Security number or a letter from the Social Security Office certifying ineligibility for a U.S. Social Security number due to nonimmigrant status. You will also need a letter of support from OVIS, which you can request via iDartmouth.

* Tuck students should contact the MBA Program Office for a driver's license support letter. 

License Renewals

If you are extending your program at Dartmouth College and wish to renew your license, please request a letter of support from OVIS. You can request this letter via iDartmouth.

The New Hampshire DMV will not grant license renewals for the purpose of your 30-day (J-1) or 60-day (F-1) grace period.

Take the letter of support, your passport, I-94 card or I-94 printout and Form I-20 (F-1 students), Form DS-2019 (J-1 exchange visitors), or I-797 form (H-1B workers), and your expiring license to the DMV office in Concord. They will renew your license the same day. You may be able to obtain a temporary, one-time 120-day renewal based on a receipt notice for a pending extension of your nonimmigrant status.

Vermont Driver's Licenses

If you live in Vermont for more than 60 days and plan to drive, you may be eligible to apply for a state driver's license. For most foreign nationals, the State requires vision, written, and driving tests.

If you are taking the driving test at the Vermont DMV, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 25 years old. The car you use for the test must have a valid vehicle registration certificate and be in good mechanical condition. An automobile insurance identification card is also required.

If you wish to request a letter of support from OVIS for your driver license application, please submit the Request a Driver's License Application Support Letter in iDartmouth.