Transfers into Dartmouth

If you are currently attending a U.S. high school or another college in the United States, you may need to transfer your F-1 SEVIS record to Dartmouth. Please let your international student advisor know you are admitted to Dartmouth and would like to transfer your SEVIS record to Dartmouth. You will work with your advisor to determine the transfer release date (the date that your F-1 record in the SEVIS system will be transferred to Dartmouth).

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must maintain valid F-1 status in the U.S. as an active, enrolled student or in a valid period of F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • Your program start date at Dartmouth must be within five months of your current program end date, or before the expiration of your OPT.

Incoming Transfer Process

When OVIS is notified of your admission to Dartmouth, we will work with you to issue a Form I-20.

  • Complete the form to request a transfer-in to Dartmouth.
  • Upload all requested documents.

Once your submission is complete, OVIS will process the Form I-20 in the SEVIS system.

It is important that your OVIS advisor knows your international travel plans. International travel, even to Canada, may change the process for your transfer.

In-country Transfer

If you are remaining in the U.S., we will send you a new transfer Form I-20. You do not need to depart the U.S. to obtain a new visa stamp.

Out-of-country Transfer

If you will be traveling outside the U.S. before you come to Dartmouth, we will send the transfer form to the address you provide. If you have been accepted to Dartmouth College and are in the U.S. in another visa status, please contact OVIS as soon as possible.

Transfers Out of Dartmouth

If you are currently an F-1 student attending Dartmouth College, or are in a period of post-completion OPT, and have applied and been accepted to another institution within the U.S., you may be able to transfer your F-1 SEVIS record and Form I-20 to the new program.

This is a completely separate procedure from the academic transfer you may have to complete. Your SEVIS record will be released to your new school on a mutually agreed-upon transfer release date. Your new school will complete the F-1 transfer in SEVIS, issue you a new Form I-20, and inform you of the procedures you must follow in order to maintain your legal F-1 student status. You can initiate the F-1 transfer-out process using this Request to Transfer I-20 e-form.

Your on-campus employment benefit at Dartmouth ends on the program end date on your Form I-20. If you wish to work at Dartmouth after the program end date and before your transfer, you must obtain post-completion OPT and the work must be related to your degree.