To maintain J-1 nonimmigrant status, you must:
- Maintain valid passport, Form DS-2019 with travel signature, and I-94 record of arrival throughout duration of J-1 program.
- Pursue the stated research/teaching or other authorized activity of your J-1 program.
- Do not engage in unauthorized employment. Unauthorized employment will result in termination of the J-1 record.
- Notify OVIS of any change of address and/or telephone number within 10 days of the change.
- Notify OVIS of any change in your site of activity, funding, or program dates.
- Follow correct procedures for shortening or extending your exchange visitor program, or transferring to another J-1 program in the U.S.
- Maintain sufficient health insurance coverage for yourself and any dependent J-2 family members for the duration of your J-1 program.
- Follow the rules for the grace period following the end of your J-1 program.
You can find more information on the Department of State’s J-1 website.