Eligible Visa Types

J-1, H-1B, TN and O-1 status individuals are all eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). Certain individuals in J-2 status who have applied for and received an Employment Authorization Document may also apply for an SSN.

F-1 students should apply for an SSN if they have one of the following:

  • Evidence of a job on campus, and a letter confirming this from the supervisor, counter-signed by OVIS international advisor
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization endorsement on page 2 of the Form I-20.
  • Valid Employment Authorization Document, with current start date

Ineligible Visa Types

Individuals in F-2, H-4, TD or O-3 status will not be issued Social Security numbers. F-1 students who are not working on- or off-campus are also not eligible for a U.S. SSN.

International Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

The International Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is issued for individuals who are not eligible for an SSN. Dependent family members who are not work-authorized may need an ITIN for U.S. tax filings.

Download the ITIN application form and instructions.