On-Campus Employment

Work performed on school grounds is "on-campus employment" as long as the employer provides direct services to students. Your paycheck must be issued by Dartmouth College. Please check with OVIS if you have any questions about whether your proposed employment is legal, according to the on-campus regulations.


F-1 students sponsored by Dartmouth College may work on campus provided they:

  • Maintain legal F-1 status
  • Do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week during academic terms, and full time employment is allowed during official school breaks and earned leave terms.

Verifying Eligibility

  • All students working on-campus must complete the "Employment Eligibility Verification" (CIS Form I-9). The I-9 must be updated with Dartmouth Payroll each time you renew your work permission or extend your program. For on-campus employment, simply show your valid Form I-20 and your passport.
  • You will also be required to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) once you have on-campus employment.
  • You will be required to file tax forms by April 15 following the end of each tax year.

Working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of your status. Please make sure your on-campus employment complies with these regulations and that you check with OVIS before accepting any off-campus employment. If you fail to comply with your responsibilities regarding employment, you will be ineligible for benefits normally granted to F-1 students and, in some situations, you may be required to leave the country or accrue unlawful presence.

Transferring to Another School

If you have received a Form I-20 from a new school and you will be transferring for the next regular academic term or session, then you may continue on-campus employment at Dartmouth until you move to your new school. You may also be eligible to begin employment at your new school immediately, even though you may not yet be attending classes.

On-Campus Employment at an Off-Campus Location

Immigration regulations allow F-1 students sponsored by Dartmouth, or F-1 students sponsored by other schools, to work “on campus at an off-campus location” provided:

  • The location is educationally affiliated with the school.
  • The educational affiliation is associated with your F-1 sponsoring school's established curriculum, or if you are a graduate student, is related to a graduate-level research project which your school has contracted to perform.
  • The work is an integral or important part of your program of study. For example, if your field of study is marine biology and your school has an off-campus marine biology research facility, you may work there. That employment will be defined as "on campus."

F-1 students sponsored by Dartmouth must check with OVIS to verify that the employment meets these requirements. F-1 students sponsored by another school will need their home-school Designated School Official’s permission for “on-campus employment at an off-campus location.”  Failure to obtain that permission will result in a “Tentative Non Confirmation” when non-Dartmouth students attempt to complete their I-9 requirement at Dartmouth Payroll.