Research Scholar or Professor
Period of Stay
Minimum period of stay is three weeks. Maximum period of stay is five years. The period of stay authorized on the Form DS-2019 will be for the duration of the Dartmouth appointment.
Purpose of Stay
The primary purpose of the stay for a Research Scholar is research, usually at the postdoctoral level. The primary purpose of the stay for a Professor is teaching, usually as a visiting faculty member.
J-1 Research Scholars and faculty may be paid employees of Dartmouth. If the appointment is unpaid, the Exchange Visitor must demonstrate sufficient funding for the duration of the J-1 program when the program begins.
You may not accept paid employment during the J-1 program. There is an exception for an occasional lecture or consultation, if your OVIS advisor and sponsoring faculty member grant permission in writing before the event.
As a research scholar you are allowed to teach at Dartmouth, and as a professor you are allowed to conduct research at Dartmouth. You are not allowed any employment opportunities not directly related to your program of research or teaching.
12- and 24-Month Bars
U.S. Department of State imposes bars on certain J-1 Exchange Visitors from using the Research Scholar/Professor category. (These bars are different from the two-year foreign residence requirement.) The bars apply to certain J-1 Exchange Visitors who were previously in the U.S. in J-1 status, and who wish to return to the U.S. in J-1 status in the Research Scholar/Professor category.
- 12-Month Bar: Any individual who was in the U.S. in any J-1 status for more than six months must wait 12 months following their departure from the U.S. before they can return as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor.
- 24-Month Bar: Any individual who was in the U.S. as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor, for any period of time, must wait 24 months following their departure from the U.S. before they can return as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor.
An individual may not enter in the J-1 category of Professor or Research Scholar if he or she has been physically present in the United States in J-1 status for all or part of the twelve-month period immediately before the start date of a Professor or Research Scholar program as stated on his or her Form DS-2019, unless:
- The participant is currently in a professor or research scholar program and is transferring to another institution in the United States to continue their current J-1 program, or:
- The participant’s prior physical presence in the U.S. on a J-visa program was less than six months in duration, or:
- The prior participation was as a short-term scholar.