To be eligible for J-1 status at Dartmouth, you must:
- Have a temporary appointment at Dartmouth College (paid or unpaid).
- Have sufficient funding for all living expenses, including additional financial support for accompanying family members, either from Dartmouth or from external funding sources.
- Maintain health insurance coverage that meets U.S. Department of State requirements for the Exchange Visitor and all accompanying dependent family members for the duration of the J-1 program.
- Demonstrate English language proficiency to successfully participate in the J-1 program and function on a day-to-day basis in the United States.
- Be able to meet the U.S. Department of State criteria for the specific J-1 Exchange Visitor category (Research Scholar, Professor, Short-term Scholar, Specialist).
Tenure-track faculty are not eligible for J-1 status.