Please double-check with the consulate where you will be applying to verify required application documents and procedures.
Non-immigrant visa applicants are normally required to submit the following documentation to the U.S. consulate abroad:
- Valid passport
- Current passport-size photographs
- Valid SEVIS Form DS-2019 for J-1 visa applicants
- Proof of payment of SEVIS fee. Payment is required if it is a first time J-1 visa application; J-1 visa renewal applications do not require repayment.
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of admission to program of study or appointment to program of research
- Proof of non-immigrant intent (evidenced by strong ties to home country)
- Non-immigrant visa application forms, available from the U.S. consulate
It is sometimes advisable for continuing students to submit copies of transcripts.